
I signed up yesterday for a couple of little meme-types, Blogtoberfest with the delightful BigCat, and stash-sharing with Pip.
As I hung out the washing, listening to the sounds of the birds in the trees, kids on the trampoline, and some hoon on his motorbike in the park (!? true!), I pondered what my posts could entail.
Lost in my solitude and reverie, and CRACK - a magpie gave me a huge scare, grazing my cheek. I was, it is fair to say, rather shaken!
I was later having coffee, relaying this morning's incident to a friend who had had a similar encounter, when it happened again! Fair enough, we were in the Botanic Gardens, but I felt a rather Hitchcock-esque fear brewing...
At home, I convinced myself that things DO NOT happen in threes, they happen individually, just sometimes three individual things closely together...
I was entranced in an audio-book, tidying the kitchen, and absent-mindedly went outside to put out the rubbish. Less than 2 metres from the back door, and the now-familiar sound of flapping wings, and I ducked just in time.
Let's just say I am now completely paranoid.

Of course, Miss 2 chose thisabove title to read at bed-time, so now a good dose of inside, hat-wearing, stupid-looking-straws-in-my-hat seems to be in order!
It's all rather funny now after a lovely G & T, but I'm a little pooped.
Stash-sharing tomorrow! So much to show, so little time left! Warning that tomorrow will be one HUGE show and tell!!
j

8 comments:
We have a pesky swooping magpie in the tree out the front too. I've stayed as far away as possible.
Looking forward to tomorrows stash reveal!
scary Jess! That sounds just too freaky.
And thanks for the headsup on blogtoberfest. I'm in.
Ai yi yi, it's that time of year. Thanks for the reminder - I will have to be thinking about this when I'm out on my bike. Last time I was swooped it was to the helmet. Scared the crap out of me!
That is a bit freaky I have to say, having it happen to you so many times. I know DH used to have magpies come after him in his school days.
your day of magpies scares me silly. We have helmets with a similar spiky disease and my son even demanded a monster face on his!
Oh no - that's the worst. Those magpies really bounce off your head and give you a nasty fright (not to mention peck, if you aren't quick enough). Maybe you can win them over ... they love to eat oats. If they are nesting and hungry, they might not bite the hand (or peck the head of the one) that feeds them. Failing that, I can suggest a hard hat!
ooh, they make me so mad (and terrified). Sounds like you have one in your own backyard who thinks he owns the place. I second the feeding suggestion though I'm not sure if you need to have done it before they nest. Worth a try though.
I remember wearing ice cream containers on our heads as kids in case the magpies swooped. Here we have a local magpie, but it's quite friendly and over the years we've fed it and it's babies, and it doesn't swoop anyone. Except maybe the cats if they annoy it.
Post a Comment