Wednesday, 30 July 2008

A Little Giveaway...

I realised this morning, that very soon I will be reaching the 200 post-mark. Let's celebrate with a giveaway!

It's a giveaway of things I love, that I want to share with you...

YARN
VINTAGE PILLOWCASES
FABRIC PIECES
OPPY FINDS
CHOCOLATE
APRON
BUTTONS!

You will be considered entered if you comment on this post. Easy. Just to amuse me, in the style of Julia Zemira on Rockwiz, tell me either the first album you bought, or the first concert you went to!

Yours cannot be more embarrassing than mine. Trust me. Although the first album I bought with my own money was Rickie Lee Jones, a cassette from Brashs, which I am quite happy with, the concert some years later, was NOT Uncanny X-Men at the Nunawading Skate Ranch, as I like to think, but Bros (this is a youtube link I didn't want to embed!). At the Tennis Centre. There, I said it. Too awful.

I am happy to post to warmer areas, so this is not limited to Aussie readers!

Just wanting to share some lovelies. This will be drawn once we have moved house, so you have a week to rummage through the old brain and make me laugh or kow-tow in awe of your brilliant taste!

J

79 comments:

Bells said...

You saw Bros? ha ha ha

Their first album was the last vinyl I ever bought. I think I played it about 5 times.

OK, first album, saved up for out of my own money, was Women of Rock in 1983. Joan Jett. Kate Bush. Can't remember who else was on it. Shortly followed by Culture Club's Colour by Numbers which I played to DEATH as a 12 year old.

First concert was....Amy Grant! My Christian music phase at 17 - saw her at the Bruce Stadium. Cringe!

our shabby cottage said...

Oh My God - I was there , at the tennis centre with my patches all over my jeans and my Bros. T-shirt on, big gold hoop earrings and huge homemade banner that said "we love you Bros.!" How funny is that!!! My very first album I bought with my own money was "aha hunting high and low" Gosh those were the good old days....sigh... Kathryn.

trash said...

OMIGOD! Mine actually was the Uncanny X-Men but at the Ballarat Civic Hall. Brian thingy was the nephew of my Home Ec Teacher! Actually the Hunter brothers (Hunnas and Cllcters & Crowded House) were the nephews of the Home Ec Teacher at my next school!

What was it with Home Ec Teachers and RocknRoll in the eighties?????

CurlyPops said...

Yah! I love a giveaway!
The first album I ever bought with my own hard earned money was INXS Kick in about 1987 and the first concert I ever went to was Jimmy Barnes at the Glasshouse (across the road from the tennis centre)....

Unknown said...

My first pocket-money-bought album was Ace of Base! You know, "I saw the sign, I saw the sii-ign" ...but it's since been removed from my display CD rack to somewhere so secret I can't find it anymore.

Not even geeky-cool (is it?), but I still have a soft spot :)

Janet McKinney said...

Arhhh - I am first, and first never wins. never mind - someone has to start it.

I can't remember my first album - but I do remember going to a concert by "Family" - a 70s Aussie group who had a hit "This house runs on Sunshine".

They came from my home town, and eventually, Ian Truscott became my GP.

Janet McKinney

Caffeine Faerie said...

My first album (that I bought) was a South African Band called Mango Groove in 1990 it was a whopping R50 for a cassette (I saved up for 3 months to buy it) - the first cd - a single of The Backstreet Boy's "As long as you love me" for R33 (which a also a lot of money then in 1996.

My first concert - Shihad in Dunedin, 2001. It was awesome.

Taphophile said...

You linked to one of our images! Thanks!

First album was a cassette of the Best of the Carpenters. First 7" vinyl was the Happy Days theme by Silver Studs. First concert - The Allnighters (Aussie ska) at ANU bar, 1983, on a fake id.

Christie said...

J'Aime Julia Zemira!!

Mon premier casette était 'le Thriller' de Michael Jackson. Je rollerskate à cela sous notre auvent pour voitures.

See I was being ver 'Julia' & speaking french!!! Anyway, first casette was 'Thriller' & I loved to rollerskate to it...

LOVED the skate ranch too, I used to be quite good at british bulldogs on skates, ah, ceux-là étaient les jours!

Anonymous said...

The first concert I can remember going to was John Farnham! My cool yong aunt (who I was flower girl for) took me. I can't remember the first album I bought, but I remember recording mixed tapes from friends albums :) Welcome to the neighbourhood!
Cheers, Ruth

Michelle said...

I love JULIA!!!

The first cassette I bought with my own money was INXS's Dekadance EP (1984). Apparently it's quite rare these days - but I think I still have it somewhere.

The first concert I went to, besides Dick Emery at the Townsville Civic Theatre (he was rude and I was only 11), was Dire Straits at the Tonwsville Showgrounds in 1986. Such a cool concert!

Michelle said...

Oh! No I was wrong! My first concert was the Listen Like Thieves tour by INXS at the Dean Park Soundshell! 1985!

JustJess said...

Fantastic guys! Loved Decadance too Michelle - I had a taped copy. Yes Bells, I saw Bros. I was 13 and thought I was very grown up! This is certainly entertaining me - keep them coming! I may have to make a mixed tape for the giveaway as well!!! ;-P

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Ohh.. first album.. I can't remember what it was called, it was a compliation, but I bought it for the track "Pretty Flamingos", because I knew this brother duo that sang that song in shopping centre performances and I had such a crush on them :)

First concert would have to see Icehouse.

Thank you so much for the "cuddles" on my blog, it and the advice were very much appreciated! Oh, I'd I've sent you a message through Etsy as well, and now know that the answer to my question is that you're in Aus :)

AMCSviatko said...

First vinyl purchase was the 12 inch of *blush* Dire Strait's "Twisting by the pool". I redemed myself with my first album: Split Enz, Enz of an Era. And first concert as a teenager was Simon & Garfunkel at Athletic Park in Wellington. Mainly, I think, because my parents thought it a safe option. I went to David Bowie's Let's Dance tour a little later - with my Dad: the only way they'd allow me to go... :-(

(At least I was down on the field not up in a seat...)

Bells said...

i keep coming back to read these. What fun.

I remembered that the first cassette that was ever bought for me by my parents was Abba Arrival. 1976. It is still a beloved possession.

Nicola said...

Goodness this makes me feel very very old. The first single I bought, does anyone else remember singles, was dreamer by Supertramp. Rumours by Fleetwood Mac was the first album I ever bought. Very passe now, but I loved it.

First concert was The Who, their first tour without Keith Moon.

Georgie said...

200 posts - congrats!

I love this bit of Rockwiz, and wonder if I would be brave enough to say the following things on air to the whole nation.

My first album was Olivia Newton John's Greatest Hits volume 3.

First concert - the Proclaimers, Dallas Brooks Hall, 1989. I think I still have the t-shirt in a box at mum and dad's.

Oh heavens. How embarassment!

Bec said...

Wow 200 - that's sensational. Congratulations!!!
Ok, first album was Village People - Can't Stop the Music, and first concert was Bon Jovi....hmmmm, off to feel embarrassed now :P

Unknown said...

Oh dear...my first concert was actually a Steve Miller Band/Allman Brothers combo. I will always love the line "really love your peaches wanna shake your tree". Can't remember the first album I bought myself, but I do remember that the first CD I ever had was New Kids on the Block. Yikes!

Unknown said...

My first concert was The Steve Miller Band...I will always love the lyric "Really love your peaches wanna shake your tree". The first cd I ever owned was New Kids on the Block. I guess there's no accounting for taste when you receive something as a gift?

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

What a great giveaway. Count me in.

My first album was one of Michael Jackson's. The one with Thriller on it and the name escapes me at the moment. My first concert was Midnight Oil at Kooyong Stadium in Melbourne.

Unknown said...

I think my first concert was Petula Clark! My mom took me and I think I was about 8 years old. I remember loving all of her costume changes! I still feel nostalgic when I hear "Downtown" ;-) The first album I bought was probably one from Bobby Sherman - definitely showing my age!

Eilleen said...

OMG, that is so funny! But aaah, those were the days, weren't they?

First album I ever bought - Flashdance.

First concert, Jimmy Barnes at Bruce Stadium.

Not bad first choices, if I may say so myself...though somehow when I gave away my record collection I do remember seeing "Richard Marx" and "Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan - "Especially for You" in that pile... obviously Flashdance was the creme de la creme of my music tastes and everything slid downhill after that.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember what the first album was, but the first 7" single was "Shiny Shiny" by Haysi Fantazee. Now I'm singing it.
First concert may actually have been the Uncanny X Men, at the Ingleburn RSL club. We were underage, but my best friends mum worked in the dining room, and she snuck us into the sound booth upstairs to watch it. We were the talk of Year 9!

Anonymous said...

I just remembered, my first album was Culture Club, Colour By Numbers!

ikkinlala said...

I don't remember the first album I bought, nor do I remember the first concert I went to (my parents took us to a few when I was a little kid). So I'll tell you the first concert I went to without my parents along: Tom Cochrane.

The tickets were a gift, and I took my little brother along. I think I was about 12 and he was 10, and we felt so grown up to be going there on our own.

gemma said...

First album was Pet Sounds, Beach Boys, bought from Coles when it was still a variety store, and I was working there Thurs nights, Sat mornings .... 15 years old. First concert was at Randwick Race Course, I saw John Denver with random boy who asked me to go ... ah the days of yore ....

Cheers,

Anonymous said...

My first album was Shawn Cassidy - Da do Run Run (hang head in shame) and my first concert was 'Beatlemania' - does that count even though they weren't the real thing? We still had a blast!
Susan

Rose Red said...

Had to visit after reading Bells! My first cassette was Abba Arrival (although I don't think I bought it with my money, since I think I was about 5 or 6 at the time!). I can't remember exactly what album was the first one I bought but I do have to admit that my record collection included Wa Wa Nee and Pseudo Echo (and I also had the INXS Dekadance cassette, which I think I still have - flip top lid case, like a cigarette packet - SO COOL!

My first concert was Neil Diamond (in 1990 or 91)!!! My uni friends and I totally got into Neil Diamond - hey, Hot August Night isn't a classic for nothing!!

TinkingBell said...

Bells drew me here! My first album - at 12 in 1974 was Pink Floyd - Relics (how cool was I? I totally looked down on the girls at school who listened to the Bay City Rollers!) and my first concert the following year -Osibisa!! at the old Burnie Theatre (Roger Dean did their album covers - african inspired rock)! Great concert!

Noel said...

Ok my first concert was the Beatles in the 60's....tells you how old I am...I was only 10 then....hahaha!
It was a great concert!!!

Cass said...

My first concert was Simon and Garfunkel.

catsmum said...

my first concert was supposed to be The Monkees - can't believe I'm owning up to that - but I broke my ankle the day before, and it was a couple more years before I actually went to a concert... I think it was John Mayall with Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs supporting... 1972
My first album purchase was actually classical - Swan Lake I think - I was a big ballet geek :]

Lois said...

LOL! Oh my gosh! I love reading all the comments. Some of you have seen some pretty awesome performers. Others....well I can only say the with age comes wisdom, but at the time I am sure it felt like the right thing to do.
hee...hee...hee.....
My first and only concert that I have ever attended happened when I was thirty two or thirty three. I was there to chaperone my daughter and her best friend. The concert tickets were a 12th or 13th birthday present from me and her dad. It was in the old Toronto ball park that has since been pulled down.
The group was THE NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK. The show was sold out. There were thousands and thousands of screaming eight to 16 year old teeny boppers there. (Do they still use that word?)
The best part about that day? Earplugs!

Lynne said...

My first album, bought with my own money, was a cassette of Ringo Starr! "I'll get by with a little help from my friends" 'cos "all I've got is a photograph and I realise you're not coming back any more". This, in the tradition of cassette tapes, is long gone!
My first album, a gift from my mum, was a beatles abum. This was an LP and I still have it.
My first concert was Roy Orbison - too long ago to remember when!!

Michelle said...

Bros!! They were so cool back in the day...well I thought so!! My first album was Culture Club, even more embarrasing?! Count me in for your giveaway, yeah!!!

Anonymous said...

First concert - The Damned at the Tivoli in Sydney. I was not quite 15, and had the fakest of fake ID's. Took hours to drink a single warm Coopers.

First album - Chewing Hides the Sound by Snakefinger.

And in case you are thinking "Gee, she was pretty cool as a youngster", the first album I ever OWNED (but was given as a gift, I didn't buy it myself), was Prince Charming, by Adam and the Ants.

Ali said...

Aggh! I would've been so envious of you seeing Bros!! We didn't get much entertainment where I grew up ... my first concert was John Farnham, it was in a big paddock just out of town somewhere!
And my first tape was Crowded House's first albumn - I still love it!

Happy 200th post!

Allison said...

First album received (I can't remember the first I actually bought)- Broadway production of Camelot

First record bought (45 not 33) was Mr Lonely by Bobby Vinton.

First concert? Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, I think.

Denise said...

The first album I bought with my own hard-earned cash was ABBA Arrival (snap, Bells!) in 1976. And after that it was the boxed set of Bach Partitas - bit of a classical girl...

I honestly can't remember my first concert, but the first one I really remember was seeing Yehudi and Hephzibah Menuhin perform in Auckland, in 1975. Stunning (I was a young violinist at the time).

Liesl said...

Ah, how I loved Nunawading Skate Ranch!

My first album was also Abba Arrival purchased with some birthday money from a Coles variety store. Sadly it had a big scratch on it and was out of stock when mum helped me return it. So all I came away with was two big bags of mission mix collectors stamps. Hmmm, sad (and a bit embarrassing) but true.

CurlyPops said...

I had to come back and read all the funny comments...there are a few INXS fans in there! I still love INXS, I have all their albums on vinyl (up until you couldn't buy vinyl anymore) and I've been to see them on their last 2 visits home with JD as lead singer at the Palais!

Jodi said...

First album was (and I admit I am embarrassed about it) Hanson - MMMBop. That hideous hideous song.

That now makes me laugh and cringe and sigh at my absurd teenage taste.

Michelle said...

To make you feel better about the Bros concert my first tape that I ever bought was Aha. Albums, I think my first actual vinyl was Johnny Diesel and the Injectors. That would have been my first concert too - it was an all day concert at an enclosed oval with a heap of bands but I was there for Johnny!

Shellbells said...

okay am sure that I can pip you at the post as far as embarassment stakes are concerned. The first album I ever got was like you a tape ....but it was of the one and only jason donovan!!! Can sadly even remember dancing around to it like I was soooo cool!!!

have my fingers crossed for the lovely giveaway!!!

Carol said...

I've stopped on by courtesy of Bells and Lynne.

Okay well I very well may just have the most embarrassing first record. Are you ready? It was Jamie Redfern & Liberace! ROFLMAO. I was totally in love with Jamie Redfern eeeek!

As for my first concert, I was 17 and took off to Festival Hall in Melbourne to see Billy Joel. My ticket plus the bus ride cost a grand total of $20! The ticket I bought just last week to see him in a few months time cost $186. How times have changed! LOL

Anonymous said...

Ok, so the first album I owned was 'Bert and Ernie's singalong', but I think the first one I bought for myself may have been either INXS (Listen Like Thieves? Can't really remember) or Crowded House (their first one. Was that self titled?). And first concert? That WAS Uncanny X-Men. Playing at Canberry Fair just outside of Canberra (not sure what's there now). I think I listened to three songs - then went back to the roller coaster!!

How's that for honesty??? Am off now to hang my head in shame and hope that such a confession has allowed me to win.

Jenaveve said...

Righ, I'd better be in the running after fessing up to this ...

First ever purchase was a vinyl single (!!!) 'Gloria' by Laura Brannigan.

Can't remember the first concert I ever saw - there's been too many, they are all a blur. Maybe it was Sesame Street Live?

I'm off to hide my head in shame now...

willywagtail said...

Hi, I hate to admit this but the first album I ever bought was a Slim Dusty one. And concerts - well um, I've only been to the free ABC ones at Melbourne Myer Music Bowl. Cherrie

Jo (sparkly green knickers) said...

I can't remember the first album I bought (but like you, it was probably bought at Brashs! My first concert was either Alannis Morrisette, or the Wiggles - they were around the same time :)

Jo (sparkly green knickers) said...

You have been lucky with the giveaways!

.girl ferment. said...

I can't remember what the first album I had was, but when our family first got a cd player we were allowed to chose a few and the first I chose was 'Mini-Stars sing the chart hits'... Oh dear.
Nothing like and 8 year old signing ice-ice baby.
xx

Nathalanes Place said...

Hi I remember the first album I bought was Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon. And the first concert I saw was in in 82 and it was AC-DC
Thanks for the chance to win a nice prize

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I think the first album I ever bought was "Shakespear Sister" for the song "Staaaaaaay wiiiiith meeeeee!"
Oh the shame!
I think the first concert I went to was a free Radio 1 thing, "party in the park" or something like that and saw "Republica" and "Babybird" the first paid for concert I went to was "Nick Cave", surprise, surprise!

hope the move goes well.

Rachael Elswyk said...

The first album I ever brought was a tape, Spirit of Place by Goanna. Played it to death. literally....
(The first vinyl single I remember buying was Bucks Fizz, making your mind up,or Ant Music, I think, I had this cute little green vinyl portable 45 player....The speaker clicked onto the side, I thought was too cool...)
The first concert I ever went to was huge, AC/DC, the Thunderstruck tour, 1985 at the tennis centre in Melbourne, with a bus load of teenage headbangers!

Unknown said...

Although my parents bought ABBA arrival and my favourite album during my early primary years was that 'stairway to heaven' album with the spinning thing in the centre - psychadelic man - completely lost on the eight year old of course!

But my first ever album PURCHASED was that laser etched Split Enz album, when it turned on the turntable it went all multicoloured and it had 'I got you' on it.

My first concert was a train trip to Sydney's Entertainment Centre to see Cold Chisel's last stand. I had to beg mum to let me got. My best friend and I wore esprit gelato jeans, matching pastel t-shirts and braces (not teeth ones, ones to hold your jeans up). White boxer boots. We teased our hair and added more makeup on the train when our mother's couldn't see us. As I recall we also cracked open a packet of winnie reds.

We snuck into the pub in Chinatown, had too much to drink, danced like mad in our standing room only 'seats' and cried like babies all the way through Flame Tree. Then caught the midnight train back to Wollongong. What bogans!

I spent the majority of the nineties being educated by a new boyfriend about the Smiths and Billy Brag, I learned to be ashamed of my love for Cold Chisel. Now I just think of it as a vintage pecadillo of mine.

But I'll never forget that night, and no live performance has ever lived up to the revelation of seeing a band for the first time.

(Except maybe Billy Bragg in a North London pub the night Tony Blair was elected, that was a good one too...)

Over here from Bells blog btw..

Pecos Blue said...

I think I am too late for this but,

If you like super hero capes come on by and win one! My first giveaway.

Figtree Handspinners & Weavers said...

My first concert evah was (omg, ashamed to admit this) The Radiators. They performed at the Port Kembla Leagues club and WE LIVED IN PORT KEMBLA!!!! We couldn't believe our luck. Unfortunately we were only 14 or 15 at the time and weren,t legally allowed to attend but our parents doctored our licences and we attended. Some time later, Concrete Blonde also played there and whilst I was there buying tickets they appeared in the foyer. They asked what they could do to fill in time and as people who know Port Kembla would attest, unless you want to pay for sex, or look over at the steel works ther isn't really that much. I half jokingly said they could hang out at my house, and they took me up on the offer. A few phone calls later and we had a party happening. Mind you it was around midday but nobody minded. We were hanging with ROCKSTARS!!! Those were the days...

Figtree Handspinners & Weavers said...

Oh Bells, my first cassette bought by my parents was 'Fonzie for President'. Yes Fonzie!

Anonymous said...

hi I just found you through Curly Pops mentioning our giveaways!! How could I have not know about your blog!!!!
Anyway...my first concert was SHERBET!! yah go Sherbet I was obsessed, it was at The Albert Hall in Launceston!! A few weeks later I went there to see JOHN PAUL YOUNG!! cool eh? My first album was AC/DC TNT and Stevie Wright soon after

Anonymous said...

Having been a huge AM radio fan in the seventies (little yellow ball radio on a chain, it rocked!), I didn't buy my first album with my own money until: The Police, Outlandos d'Amour. First concert was considerably earlier, and considerably nerdier: Billy Joel.

Anonymous said...

I can't remember if I commented here or not. I know I meant to...

My first album was either Crowded House's first one, or an INXS one (maybe Listen Like Thieves??).

My first concert was indeed, ahem, Uncanny X-men - at Canberry Fair near Canberra. Ah, what memories...

Marita said...

I think I might have liked Bros for a little while. But first concert was Dragon and I was underage at a Uni Bar. First album I can remember buying was Eurthymics, thought Annie Lennox had so much style I got my hair cut and coloured just like her!

TLK said...

Showing my age here.....
First album - 1999 by Prince. Bought with my first paycheck packing groceries (we still used brown paper bags!!!!) at Woolies.

First concert - Midnight Oil at the Kuranda Rainforest Ampitheatre. I have done at least one cool thing in my nerdy life.

TLK said...

Reading all of these posts has just reminded me - the 80's vinyl collection has never been decluttered!!! Are you up for it?

Michelle said...

And thanks for your message about my baby shoes!! I'm placed very well for custom orders so pop over if you need some!!

Anonymous said...

My first concert... Wow.

Human Nature. *Cringe*

Hey, I was so in love with those boys!

I unfortunately think my first CD was a Spice Girls one, because someone gave it to me for Christmas. The first CD I bought myself, however, was Harry Chapin - yeah, did the gift giver ever get my tastes wrong! I was so born into the wrong generation :p

Michelle said...

Love Julia too - My husband and i agree that we really would fight over her!

First Album was ABBA Arrival - i still remember the helicopter and those white jumpsuits!!
First Concert was Rolf Harris at the Ainslie Football Club - he sang and painted a painting. It was aimed at kids - I think?

Gillian R said...

First concert I ever went to was the Australian Made tour when it came to Melbourne.
INXS, Jimmy Barnes, The Divynls, Hoodoo Gurus, etc etc. Blew my mind!! I went with my big brother (6yrs older than me) and I thought I was the epitome of cool!!

Bells said...

Nothing wrong with A-ha, to the person who wrote that. High point of the 80s (in terms of euro-pop, that is). Otherwise I'm with Ailsa on the Billy Bragg thing. Although I technically didn't discover him until 91, thanks to my (younger and cooler) sister.

Drewzel said...

My first album I bought with my own money was a compliation called "The Beatles Ballads" in the late '70s. That's probably not really that embarrassing. First concert = Nick Cave at the Melb Showgrounds in 1988.

JustJess said...

Hey Drewzel, I LOVE that Beatles Ballads! I have the cassette, as it is not released on cd. Master 6 loves it too - it's an in-car staple (old car, cassettes only!)

Drewzel said...

By the way, I think Uncanny X-men should be given a prize for their commitment to performing gigs in every regional area you can think of :P

Anastasia said...

ohhh i loved Bros...i heard they are having a comeback!
my first cassette was ABBA...i idolised them!!

Two Peas In a Pod said...

My first was New Kids on the Block..yes I know...
My first concert was Our Lady Peace..
Cheers Kyla

Stephanie said...

Okay okay...I will dig deep into my embarassing past and share this with you. According to me and others I have told, the first concert I ever went to was HFStival in 1995...but that's a lie. My mother took me to see Dwight Yokum when I was in my early teens....like 12 or 13. That was the first mistake...I was a teen, hanging with my mother...just her and I. The worst part was that she rented binoculars just so we could see his butt shake is his horribly ripped jeans. AAHHH!!!!! Yuck!Horrifying still to this day.

Stacy A. said...

What a great topic! Mine aren't too embarrassing. My mom took me to my first concert when I was eleven. She won 2 tickets to James Taylor. I thought we were going to be the only ones there, but it was sold out. My first CD was The Division Bell by Pink Floyd which my dad found and destroyed because they did drugs. Lifes ups and downs eh?

Hope your move goes well! Love Stacy

Anonymous said...

What a long walk down memory lane. The first Crosby, Still and Nash album (titled Crosby, Still and Nash). Haven't thought about that in years.