Wednesday, 28 January 2009

Blogaversary and 300th post Giveaway!

Ok so I missed my own One Year Blogaversary... Relaxing at the beach and catching up with friends does that to me.

I can hardly believe that I who cannot keep a journal, I the queen of the UFO, has blogged regularly for ONE YEAR. Those who know me in person are perhaps picking themselves up off the floor in astonishment! I LOVE the bloggy/crafty world. The generosity, thoughtfulness, humour, sisterhood, support. Thanks to all who have popped in for a read (lurker!) and you fabulous peeps who have commented and encouraged me. Let me thank you with a celebratory giveaway!

I promise a giveaway to be proud of! There are oppy shoppy finds, vintage craft books, fabric bits, and maybe some handmade goodness from me!

To be in the draw, please leave a comment to this post, telling me your most memorable fashion moment from the 80s and/or 90s. This comes to mind having spent the weekend trawling through old boxes in storage, finding photos of hair, make-up and clothing that really should never have seen the light of day... Why don't your friends tell you when things look crap?!

Ah, fashion to talk about. The doyennes, Ms Bjork and Ms Cher.

I have had many a moment of the faux pas, from the white Ra-Ra skirt of the 80s with fluro yellow undies underneath, the white denim mini skirt in early 90s, and lots in between. Maybe you have photos of yours? Include a link to your blog and show me for a chance for a second entry into the draw for the hamper of goodness.

Time for an Iced Tea in this oppressive heat. Ah, it's good to be back!

J

12 comments:

sewfunky said...

Do you remember those old puff ball skirts of the 80's? I hope those never come back in fashion, and if they do - you know I won't be wearing one!

Congrat's on a year of blogging... :)

Janet McKinney said...

All I can remember from the 80s fashion was having al ittle girl to make clothes for. Gorgeous smocked dresses, frilly things -until she was old enough to tell me NO MORe mum - she wanted simple things, and went all boyish in her clothes. Oh well, it was good while it lasted!

CurlyPops said...

Mine would have to be skin tight stretch denim bubblegum jeans, teamed with hi-top basketball boots, and a I used to tease my fringe into a big puffball and fill it with hairspray!
The 80's were a disaster.

Em said...

Hi wow a year of blogging, that is great - congrats!
Ok my fond memories of the 80's my treasured bright yellow swatch watch and my pair of clear with silver glitter jelly sandals ;-)
Em

our shabby cottage said...

I dressed up as Boy George for a dress up day at school. My Mum did my makeup and made a funky looking top. I had plaits in my hair all over and sang "I stumble for you" all day.....Oh, those were the days!!

Bec said...

Oh boy, I have SO many bad fashion memories of the 80s. Basically I had the HUGE weave perm that I then tipped and crimped and teased until it was just a massive frizzy scary-looking 'do'. Like like a cross between really really bad bed hair and white fairy floss. I then loved to wear my 'Metal for Melbourne' black t-shirt with the sleeves ripped out, and a skeleton hands screenprint placed over my ever-so-tiny bosom :P. Of course this was teamed with either strategically ripped skin tight faded jeans, or a short tight leopard print mini-skirt. I thought I was SO "ROCK", although in actual fact I was really the biggest goody-two-shoes....aaahhh the 80s...bless em...

Oh, and of course, congrats on a year of blogging. Yay!!!

Bells said...

oh i loved Bjork's dress. Will stand by that fashion moment forever! Cher - not so hot.

Congrats on one year. It's been a pleasure to watch your blog develop and get its own unique personality!

Eilleen said...

CONGRATS on 1 year of blogging J!!

And yes, the 80s... Not clothing but my memorable fashion moment was... permed curls a-la Kylie-Minogue-when-she-did-Locomotion...and hey you know what I look like - do you think curls would look "natural" on me?!! hehe

Maxine said...

Congratulations on your blogging anniversary! My 80's nightmare, hmm must be odd coloured neon socks with jelly sandals and a tube skirt. Oh and a lovely perm to top it all off!

Nicola said...

Hope I am not too late to be included. I quite like the swan dress strangely enough and wish I had the nerve of Bjork to be able to wear it.

My memories of the 80's are off knitting and sewing my own stuff. I must have been so boring. I did have a breif new romantic phase, all long flowing lacy sleeves and dressing as a pirate, no pics though.
If you look over at my blog http://www.nicola-daisies.blogspot.com/ I will eventually put up some of the pics of me from the 80's and 90's.

Nic

perempuan said...

Dr. Marten Boots. It was all the rage back in the early 90s while I was still a uni student. I remember spending a huge chunk of my monthly allowance to buy a pair. Red ones.

All these years, that same pair is still around somewhere in my parents' place.

Congratulations on your 300th post!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogaversary! I'm so proud of you. Proudest 80's moment - the alfoil & garbage bag outfit I created to wear to the "Garbage Bag Getups" disco at high school. True story.
TLK